hbase-user mailing list archives

From arnaud but <sdnetw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Schema Updates: what do you do today?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:13:38 GMT
+1, this kind of tools is very nice.

Le 09/04/2012 21:39, Ian Varley a écrit :
> Thanks, Andy. Yeah, a tool that compares a schema definition with a running cluster,
and gives you a way to apply changes (without offlining, where possible), would be pretty
sweet.

> Anybody else think so? Or, do you have tools you've already written for this? Seems like
a common need (we also need that, and have started tools for it internally).

> Ian
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>
> Manual schema changes via one-off shell scripts.
>

> What I would like to do is write code that gets the HTD, checks if
> all of the schema structure and features are as they should be, and, if
> not, makes the necessary modifications without taking the table offline.(I typically
write code like that which does offlining first. In practice, it creates the table if it is
missing in some test environment, later it is disabled.) It could be possible to update HTD
and HCD attributes without offlining, possibly even to add CFs. I wouldn't expect all admin
actions could be accomplished without offlining.