hbase-user mailing list archives

From Manuel de Ferran <manuel.defer...@gmail.com>
Subject Duplicate an HBase cluster
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:52:44 GMT
Greetings,

we have a 4 nodes cluster running HBase-0.90.3 over Hadoop-0.20-append.
We'd like to create another HBase cluster from this one with minimal HBase
downtime. We have plenty of disk space on each datanode.

Here is what we have in mind:
- Add a new datanode aka. DN5
- Raise HDFS replication factor to 5 to have a whole copy on each datanode
- Wait until replication done
 - Disable all tables
- Stop DN5
- Copy Namenode data (dfs/name/current ...) to DN5
- Enable all tables
- Start a new namenode on DN5 aka NN2
- Reconfigure DN5 to point to NN2
- Configure a new HBase cluster on top of the new HDFS

It works on a small cluster but is it enough to have a consistent copy ?

Any hints ? Is there a best-practice ?

Thanks