hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema Updates: what do you do today?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:00:21 GMT
Still doing it old school unless I have to alter a bunch of tables for
the same reason, like enabling replication.

J-D

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Ian Varley <ivarley@salesforce.com> wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm doing a little research into various ways to apply schema modifications to an HBase
cluster. Anybody care to share with the list what you currently do? E.g.

>  - Connect via the HBase shell and manually issue commands ("create", "disable", "alter",
etc.)
>  - Write one-off scripts that do the above
>  - Write tools that read from a static schema definition and then apply changes to a
cluster (e.g. using HBaseAdmin)

> etc. My supposition is that some additional tooling in this area, to consolidate stuff
everybody already does on their own, might be helpful. In light of recent discussions on the
dev list about various ways to alter the schema on a running cluster, it seems like this area
is still a bit of a "wild west" in the HBase community, both in how HBase works and in what
people do in practice.