hbase-user mailing list archives

From yavuz gokirmak <ygokir...@gmail.com>
Subject Hbase RegionServer could not resolve DNS name of master
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:36:01 GMT
Hi,

I have a problem while building a hbase setup for two computers.

I have two computers which are:
-----------------------------------
hostname: master
ip: 10.10.10.1
domainName: master.bigdata.com
-----------------------------------
hostname: slave1
ip: 10.10.10.2
domainName: slave1.bigdata.com
----------------------------------

(a dns server is installed on master so forward and reverse queries are
working well both on master and slave)

My hbase version is cloudera's "hbase-0.90.4+49.137" and OperatingSystem is
ubuntu lst 12.04

*1. Problem - RegionServer tries to connect localhost:60000*

Master:/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 master

Slave1:/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 slave1

When I started hbase from master, region server on slave1 tries to connect
localhost:60000
"Attempting connect to Master server at localhost:60000"
But it should connect to 10.10.10.1:60000,
What I know that regionserver's learn master ip from zookeeper, somehow
zookeeper says wrong master ip to slaves.
When I change master's hosts file as below, this regionserver tries to
connect right master ( but I get a different error which will be detailed
in 2. Problem) .

Master:/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 master
10.10.10.1 master

So I think zookeeper resolves get ip address from master machine's hostname
and set it as master's IP address.
Is it true?

*2. Problem - RegionServer Could not resolve the DNS name of master*
*
*
When I changed master's host file as said above, I get a different error
again from regionserver (slave1)
*"org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HServerAddress: Could not resolve the DNS name of
master*
*org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Error while calling watcher*
*java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: hostname can't be null*
*
*
*...*
*..**"*
*
*
*I don't really understand why regionserver tries to resolve ip address of
"master". *
*"master" is just the hostname of master computer.*
*
*
*
*
*--------------------------------------------------------*
*
*
*Contents of hbase-site.xml, both master and slave1 uses same file*
*
*
name: hbase.rootdir
value: hdfs://master.bigdata.com:54310/hbase

name: hbase.cluster.distributed
value: true

name: hbase.zookeeper.quorum
value: master.bigdata.com