hbase-user mailing list archives

From Davey Yan <davey....@gmail.com>
Subject How many data versions should I keep in HBase?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 06:58:24 GMT
HI,

In my business case, it is unnecessary to keep more then one version of data.
The application code will never try to get/scan older versions.

Should I set the MAX_VERSIONS => 1 for every table, instead of the default 3 ?

The hbase book online said: Compression will boost performance by
reducing the size of StoreFiles and thus reducing I/O.
(http://hbase.apache.org/book/important_configurations.html)
I have enabled the SNAPPY compression, ideally i will reduce data to
22.2% remaining.
So if i set the MAX_VERSIONS => 1, i will reduce data to 1/3 remaining again?

Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,

--
Davey Yan