hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Duplicate an HBase cluster
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:03:13 GMT
A good way of doing that start replicating to the new cluster using HBase replication.
Then *after* replication has been setup and enabled you would issue a CopyTable M/R for each
table.

After the CopyTable jobs are finished you have a backup cluster that behind only "a few seconds"
(however long replication takes to catch up).

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: Manuel de Ferran <manuel.deferran@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:52 AM
Subject: Duplicate an HBase cluster

Greetings,

we have a 4 nodes cluster running HBase-0.90.3 over Hadoop-0.20-append.
We'd like to create another HBase cluster from this one with minimal HBase
downtime. We have plenty of disk space on each datanode.

Here is what we have in mind:
- Add a new datanode aka. DN5
- Raise HDFS replication factor to 5 to have a whole copy on each datanode
- Wait until replication done
- Disable all tables
- Stop DN5
- Copy Namenode data (dfs/name/current ...) to DN5
- Enable all tables
- Start a new namenode on DN5 aka NN2
- Reconfigure DN5 to point to NN2
- Configure a new HBase cluster on top of the new HDFS

It works on a small cluster but is it enough to have a consistent copy ?

Any hints ? Is there a best-practice ?

Thanks