hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema Updates: what do you do today?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:56:29 GMT
Manual schema changes via one-off shell scripts.

What I would like to do is write code that gets the HTD, checks if
all of the schema structure and features are as they should be, and, if
not, makes the necessary modifications without taking the table offline.(I typically write
code like that which does offlining first. In practice, it creates the table if it is missing
in some test environment, later it is disabled.) It could be possible to update HTD and HCD
attributes without offlining, possibly even to add CFs. I wouldn't expect all admin actions
could be accomplished without offlining.

Best regards,

    - Andy