hbase-user mailing list archives

From Rohit Kelkar <rohitkel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating Tables with primary key and foreign key from mysql to Hbae
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:30:42 GMT
Neetu,
In my opinion it is a bad idea to "copy paste" a normalized schema
from an RDBMS to a nosql database like hbase. Hbase encourages
denormalization. Hbase does not support indexing out of the box like
mysql/postgres/etc. So your retrieval time would be affected as the
data size grows. For indexing in hbase you have to separately create
indexes either as a hbase table or use solr, etc.
For purposes of understanding hbase you can treat the primary key to
be equivalent to the row key in hbase. I don't think there is any
concept of foreign keys in hbase but you could explore coprocessors in
hbase to implement something that is equivalent to foreign keys.

- Rohit Kelkar