hbase-user mailing list archives

From T Vinod Gupta <tvi...@readypulse.com>
Subject Re: some questions about hbase in production environment
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:31:46 GMT
i would highly recommend reading the hbase book to decide what
configuration settings to change. it depends on what kind of load and what
kind of data you will be storing. e.g. im using a subset of the list you
mentioned. other settings that i use
are hbase.hregion.max.filesize, hbase.rpc.timeout,
hbase.regionserver.handler.count, hbase.hregion.majorcompaction,
zookeeper.session.timeout, hbase.regionserver.codecs.
GC settings are also different from standard one.

yes hbase can handle hundreds of thousands of columns.. however, i have had
lot of problems when the row size and individual column value sizes were
large (10s of MB for me). i solved that by removing some storage redundancy
that i had.. other than that, i dont know what settings would have really
helped me. so others can comment on this.