hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Drzal <mdr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:45:44 GMT
You really need to consider the entire historical context here.  A lot of
the memory used in hbase is buffering writes to disk and for the block
cache.  These days, it isn't unreasonable to get 12 2-3TB disks in a
commodity server.  Back in 2003, you would not get as many disks, and they
would be much smaller.  One way to think about it is the ratio of RAM/disk
space or more operationally what your cache hit ratio is and how busy your
disk drives are.

  Drz