hbase-user mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What about storing binary data(e.g. images) in HBase?
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 23:09:40 GMT
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Konrad Tendera <konrad@tendera.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm wondering whether it worths to store my binary data using HBase?
> I've read lots of articles and presentation which say that it is
> highly not recommended but maybe there was some changes in the
> newest versions? Possibly please write how data size influences
> performance (what size of files do you recommend for HBase?).

As long as each data item is in the "few megabytes" range, HBase makes
for a great datastore for blobs.  When your items start to exceed
50-100MB, you either have to tune HBase specifically for this workload
or use another datastore that's more appropriate.

FWIW, all of StumbleUpon's static assets (millions of images,
JavaScript and CSS files etc) are served out of HBase.  Our average
blob size is 20KB.

Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

View raw message