hbase-user mailing list archives

From hdev ml <hde...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase Region splitting may times.
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:12:49 GMT
Hi,

We are using HBase version 0.90.3 in a 2 node cluster. Maybe this question
has been asked too many times. But I could not find a good answer for this.

I created a test table with one column family "cf" with 2 columns "a" and
"b", each having value of a 3000 character long string. Maximum versions
allowed is 3 and maxfilesize is at default 256M.

In a loop, I put 100000 rows into it, with 3000 character long values for
both a and b. Row key is incremental like row00000000 to row00099999.

I applied an outer loop which will run the above 100000 row put loop, 10
times.

After running it 10 times, I found that it split into following number of
regions for every run.

Run     Regions
1            4
2            5
3            7
4           10
5           13
6           19
7           19
8           19
9           19
10          19

Question is, why did it stabilize after the 6th run? Shouldn't it stabilize
after 3 runs, because number of versions is 3? After 3 runs, It should not
split further, because new versions are being added but old version should
be purged/deleted. Is that a correct statement?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Harshad