hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: 0.92 and Read/writes not scaling
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:29:16 GMT
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Juhani Connolly <juhanic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're running into a brick wall where our throughput numbers will not
> scale as we increase server counts both using custom inhouse tests and
> ycsb.

Does the above statement still hold?  We've moved past the above and
we are now on to 'writes are slow'?

> We're using hbase 0.92 on hadoop 0.20.2(we also experience the same
> issues using 0.90 before switching our testing to  this version).
>
> Our cluster consists of:
> - Namenode and hmaster on separate servers, 24 core, 64gb
> - up to 11 datanode/regionservers. 24 core, 64gb, 4 * 1tb disks(hope
> to get this changed)

You can put the master and namenode on the same machine.

Yes, more disks are better (see the GBIF blog cited in another thread).

> - load 10m rows

Are the 10m rows for sure spread across all regions?

> Delaying WAL flushes gives a small throughput bump but it doesn't
> scale.

Why does it not scale?

St.Ack