hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: a utility to verify DNS on Hadoop/Hbase cluster
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 05:46:25 GMT
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Sujee Maniyam <sujee@sujee.net> wrote:
> HI all,
> I was once stung by issue of DNS not working correctly on a
> Hadoop/Hbase cluster, it wasn't easy to debug.
>
> So I wrote a simple utility to verify DNS on a cluster (all machines)
>
> https://github.com/sujee/hadoop-dns-checker
>
> - It is written in pure Java; doesn't use any third party libraries.
> So it is very easy to compile and run.
> - it does both   IP lookup and reverse DNS lookup
> - will also check if machine's own hostname resolves correctly
> - it can run on a single machine
> - it can run on machines across cluster (using password-less ssh)
>
> Hope some one else finds it useful.
>
> Any feedback and comments most welcome.

Nice Sujee.  Make a patch for the reference guide so folks can find it
easy?  Add a footnote here: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#dns?
(If you write text into an issue, I'll take care of getting it into
the guide).  Shouldn't we have this in hbase altogether?

./bin/hbase checkdns

or ./bin/hbck --checkdns

(Hopefully the reverse dns is no longer necessary in 0.92)

St.Ack