hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HTable.getEndKeys() returning empty results
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:48:43 GMT
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM, de Souza Medeiros Andre
<andre.medeiros@aalto.fi> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has someone had problems with HTable.getEndKeys() method? In my application it returns
an array of byte[], but the first (and only) byte[] is empty, so essentially it's telling
me that the (single) region has no end key.

> The table has 3 rows and I'm running standalone HBase 0.90.4 CDH3u3 on my local machine.
Moreover, the call getEndKeys() is executed immediately after I put rows in the table.

> Do I need to wait until the .META. table gets updated with the regions' end row keys?
> Does HTable.getEndKeys() work only in a fully distributed mode?
> Is there any other way of getting the last row in a table? (this is my objective after
all)

An empty byte array is the last key in a table of one region only.  An
hbase table uses empty byte array as both the start and end row
signifier as per the bigtable paper (I don't see this explicitly
called out in the reference guide but I'm probably not looking in
right place).

St.Ack