hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Issues suitable for GSOC2012
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 04:49:30 GMT

couldn't find any mentions of GSOC on this ML (see http://search-hadoop.com/?q=gsoc&sort=newestOnTop&fc_project=HBase).

the most valuable piece there being that link at the end, which leads to https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+lucene-gsoc-12 .

> Why not do that for HBase?

In the past, I've made submission on hbase's behalf and have not had
good luck going via the apache process.  In past years there were too
many apache projects for the slots google allots the foundation.  On
more than a few occasions after doing the work readying us for gsoc
interacting w/ prospectives and after doing the prep listing possible
projects and (mostly) keeping on top of the deadlines, the project was
not given an apache slot (we had a student 'once' though it didn't
work out... a long story).  With this past experience, I've not kept
abreast of this years happenings (Is it even possible to make a
submission at this stage?)  We have loads of stuff to do.  It'd be
great to get someone (we got a good student via an fb allotment two
years ago if memory serves me right) but unless the stakes have
changed, I for one am reluctant spending the time.

Should we go for it Otis?  Do you know anything about the stakes this
time around?

St.Ack