hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Boesch <java...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase rowkey & RDBMS PK
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:58:09 GMT
Presumably you mean " there are more than one UNIQUE key" (only one pk per
table, even in rdbms..)

Thats a core difference between rdbms and hbase: secondary indexes are not
suppoted per se in the latter.  There are various options here, one of
which may be to:

   - you might see whether you can combine your disparate unique keys into
   one combined one for use in hbase. may likely not be possible, but at least
   consider.
   - denormalize by creating  separate htable's corresponding to each of
   the unique keys. in that case you may not want to store all columns in both
   tables: just the columns needed when you query by the specific unique key
   for that table.
   - partition your data well in terms of the regions and then do full scan
   on just the regions you need in order to achieve the queries by the
   secondary indexes
   - export your hbase data into an external full text searchable module (a
   la lucene)