hbase-user mailing list archives

From Peter Vandenabeele <pe...@vandenabeele.com>
Subject Re: Install hbase on Ubuntu 11.10
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:41:37 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Mahdi Negahi <negahi.mahdi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All Friends
> I'm new at Linux and Hbase. At first time, I install hbase on windows by Cygwin successfully
but after install Thrift everything change. so I decided to change my OS and try to install
Hbase on Ubuntu 11.10. I have tried for 2 weeks without any progress. Please please somebody
guide me to install Hbase on Ubuntu and please do not forget I'm new in Linux. I want install
Hbase on my laptop, so i don't need it in cluster system.
> I used this guide but I don't have any progress.vladexologija.blogspot.com/2011/10/installing-hbase-on-ubuntu.html

I recently installed HBase on Ubuntu 11.10 (and 10.04) and it was
quite trivial ...

Read this:

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#quickstart

And then there are only 2 gotcha's

2.2.3. Loopback IP

HBase expects the loopback IP address to be 127.0.0.1. Ubuntu and some
other distributions, for example, will default to 127.0.1.1 and this
will cause problems for you.

/etc/hosts should look something like this:

            127.0.0.1 localhost
            127.0.0.1 ubuntu.ubuntu-domain ubuntu

AND

in .bashrc do something to set JAVA_HOME

# JAVA_HOME for HBase/JRuby/rubymine
export JAVA_HOME='/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre'

If this still fails, then send detailed logs of what you tried
and what failed and which error message you got.

(I had install the Oracle Java on here longer ago,
so that "may" be required too).

HTH,

Peter