hbase-user mailing list archives

From D S <desmi...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:25:40 GMT
Hi,

I'm learning more about HBase and I'm curious how much of HBase is
actually based on Google's original dB.  In Google's origins stories,
they are well known for using low cost commodity hardware in scale in
order to store their web database.

Almost every blog I read about HBase tells me it's a clone of
BigTable.  Almost every blog I've read about HBase also tells me to
use a lot of RAM - gigabytes worth.  Some even tell me not to even
consider HBase with less than 4GB of RAM.

If I remember my history correctly, a commodity machine in the year
2003 had around 512MB to 1GB of RAM in it.  The fancier ones had, 2GB.
 From everything I've read, running HBase on such machines is a very
bad idea yet this was the machines readily available in the year 2003
when Google started it's growth.

I'm confused at the moment.  Can someone give me a bit of background
about how HBase performance is handled from the "low" end which was
considered "high" end back then?  Should I assume that HBase is just a
clone of BigTable?  What is HBase's history?  Are the blogs wrong?

Thanks for any clarification anyone can give.