hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Silly question...
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:45:37 GMT
Thanks...

I guess the question is more of if I can read the row from .Meta.  while there's a lock on
it.

In HBase the locks are more for atomic writing, and not a transactional lock. So I have to
wonder if the lock allows another thread to read the row while its being held or if it waits
until the first thread releases the lock.

On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Manish Bhoge wrote:

> By definition .Meta keeps a list of all regions. If there is a lock on .Meta it doesn't
allow you to get you the regions. So logically it should stop only new data coming. However
 read should happen as it was happening earlier and hence you can still fetch the data when
row level lock on .Meta.