hbase-user mailing list archives

From Konrad Tendera <kon...@tendera.eu>
Subject Rows vs. Columns
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:51:35 GMT

I'm designing some schema for my use case and I'm considering what will
be better: rows or columns. Here's what I need - my schema actually
looks like this (it will be used for keeping not large pdf files or
single pages of larger document)
table files:
     family "info":
         "info:pg" - keeps page number
         "info:id" - sender ID
         "info:nm" - pdf name
     family "data":
         "data:blob" - blob of pdf file

Now let's get back to ***: each user can add multiple of additional
properties ("name" - "value"), but let's assume that every user will be
so creative that there won't be two same names. I don't know how solve
this problem: each "name" will be new column ("info:name") or I should
try to do this like it is said here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#schema.smackdown.rowscols and make new
row for earch property?