hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 01:09:18 GMT
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 6:28 PM, D S wrote:
> Simple, I want to see what is meant by the claim that HBase = Big Table.
> How far does this claim go?

Who is making this claim?

I think we say that HBase is a BigTable clone, because it attempts to be faithful to the BigTable
architecture as described in Google's BigTable paper of 2004.

> How identical are the two products?  Does it stop at the fronted
> specifications?

An architectural comparison would be valid. Pull the Google BigTable paper and then grab a
copy of Lars George's HBase book or read the source and/or ask questions.

> Does it go into the internals?  I just want to know how identical
> these two products are and how different are the two.

> If I took the current build of HBase and had a time machine and installed
> it in all those circa 2003 Google servers (and not one server more), would
> I end up with something similar to what Google had back then?

Google's BigTable is closed source, so who can say.

Best regards,

    - Andy