hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Manish Bhoge" <manishbh...@rocketmail.com>
Subject Re: Rows vs. Columns
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 03:44:32 GMT
Konard,
Do youy really like columnare structure for this kind of problem? I think you can still live
with typical row level database. I need to read the link that you have provided. But I am
sure this kind of storage type we have used in typical RDBMS. Here one more solution can be
possible if your file volume is Big and you need to perform text search on that then you can
create row level table in hive and connect through storagehandler to Hbase where exactly you
should store your files.
Thanks
Manish.
Sent from my BlackBerry, pls excuse typo

-----Original Message-----
From: Konrad Tendera <konrad@tendera.eu>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:51:35
To: <user@hbase.apache.org>
Subject: Rows vs. Columns

Hello,

I'm designing some schema for my use case and I'm considering what will
be better: rows or columns. Here's what I need - my schema actually
looks like this (it will be used for keeping not large pdf files or
single pages of larger document)
table files:
     family "info":
         "info:pg" - keeps page number
         "info:id" - sender ID
         "info:nm" - pdf name
         ***
     family "data":
         "data:blob" - blob of pdf file

Now let's get back to ***: each user can add multiple of additional
properties ("name" - "value"), but let's assume that every user will be
so creative that there won't be two same names. I don't know how solve
this problem: each "name" will be new column ("info:name") or I should
try to do this like it is said here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#schema.smackdown.rowscols and make new
row for earch property?

K.