hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sandy Pratt <prat...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Hbase Transactional support
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:46:59 GMT
Maysam,

I wasn't aware of Omid before this post, so thanks for sharing that.  I really like the approach
and indeed our own implementation of transactions on HBase uses MVCC and optimistic concurrency
control with a centralized transaction manager.  I think it's a great fit for HBase.

One question though.  You mention detection of write-write conflicts, but not write-read conflicts.
  I'm guessing that this is because you're shooting for non-serializable snapshot isolation.
 Why not detect write-read anomalies and get to serializable isolation (or at least closer
to it)?  For example it seems like you could detect the write skew anomaly (described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_isolation) by tracking a little more state in your Status
Oracle.  Were you trying to reduce state or decentralize it or something?  Is there simply
no need for that level of isolation?

Apologies if this is clear in the code, which I haven't yet read thoroughly.

Thanks,
Sandy