hbase-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Which server store the root and .meta. information?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:47:51 GMT
The HMaster does not host regions, and the -ROOT- is a region; It is
hosted by one of the assigned RegionServers, and its location is
registered under ZooKeeper. The -ROOT- region then holds the location
of the .META. (Which again, is another region, and is hosted by
RegionServers in just the same way).

For your ZK question, if you run ZK in HBase's embedded mode, it runs
on the HMaster, while if you run it standalone you can choose to run
it anywhere. The latter method is what is recommended for production
deployments, and its preferable to host it separately on its own
boxes.

P.s. The JIRA at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-3171 may
simplify this someday :)

--