hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@hubspot.com>
Subject Scans and Bloom Filter
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 02:18:26 GMT
Hello,

We are looking at Bloom Filters and wondering if they are helpful when
doing a sequential read (multi-row scan) or only when doing a Get for a
single row.  It logically makes sense that it would only affect (or to
greater affect) getting a single row since it is a way for determining if
you have to read a whole store file when fetching a key.  But, we are told
that Scan and Get are essentially the same code on the backend, so I
imagine both will check the Blooms if they exist.

Also, would a ROWCOL bloom be more effective if you are often doing
multi-row scans but always with specifying only a subset of columns in
those rows?

Thanks,

Bryan