hbase-user mailing list archives

From Neil Yalowitz <neilyalow...@gmail.com>
Subject length and size of a column family name or qualifier vs. amount of disk storage
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:33:41 GMT
Hi all, here's a (not-so) hypothetical question...  How does a given column
family name or a qualifier impact storage?  Would a long family or qualifer
like this:

my-descriptive-but-long-column-family-name:my-descriptive-but-long-qualifier

--vs. a short column family and qualifier:--

mycolfam1:myqual1

We are assuming the longer cf/qual would be written to HDFS billions of
times and would be wasteful.  Is that a correct assumption?

Does the answer change if you use Snappy compression?

Thanks,

Neil Yalowitz
neilyalowitz@gmail.com