hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Detecting HBase cluster idle
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:12:42 GMT
(this is a user question so sending to the relevant mailing list and
putting dev@ in BCC)

Yeah it could be one way. Be aware that some janitorial processes in
the master do a full .META. scan every few minutes you might see very
quick bursts on one machine.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Jagane Sundar <jagane@sundar.org> wrote:
> Hello HBase gurus,
> I have a question - can I use the metric 'Cluster Requests (R)' published by the HBase
Master's metrics system to detect whether a cluster is idle or not? Upon first blush this
seems like a good idea, but without knowledge of HBase internals, I am not sure that there
aren't any internal housekeeping requests that will be reported as part of this metric.
> The end goal is to be able to detect an idle HBase cluster and shut it down. 'Idle' meaning
the user, or any application that the user has developed, are not making any requests to the
HBase cluster.
> Thanks in advance,
> Jagane

View raw message