hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xceiver count, regionserver shutdown
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:25:10 GMT
Hurray! Thanks for following up, I really appreciate it. The upload
speed should be better too.

I should some time to write this all down in a more readable format
for the reference guide on the website.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Bryan Keller <bryanck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to follow up, this did indeed fix the problem I was having with hitting the xceiver
limit. Thanks a bunch for the help, I have a much better understanding of how heap, memstore
size, and number of regions all play a role in performance and resource usage.
> On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Bryan Keller <bryanck@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I increased the max region file size to 4gb so I should have fewer than 200 regions
per node now, more like 25. With 2 column families that will be 50 memstores per node. 5.6gb
would then flush files of 112mb. Still not close to the memstore limit but shouldn't I be
much better off than before?
>> Ah sorry I didn't understand that you were restarting with a new
>> table. In that case go with even fewer regions and if you aren't
>> relying on the block cache for anything fast reads then you could also
>> expend the memstore global usage.
>>> Inserting sequentially may or may not be an option for me. I am storing a live
feed of data from an external source so it could prove tricky.
>> Thought so.
>> J-D

View raw message