hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject On 'routs' and traackr
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 16:54:57 GMT
The Hypertable crew are throwing stones again.  See
http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/2/7/hypertable-routs-hbase-in-performance-test-hbase-overwhelmed.html
if you haven't already.  ("Shock! Horror!  Java App GCs when
misconfigured!").  J-D did a bit of a response.  We should do a
comparison some day (Volunteers?).   It seems like hypertable has some
nice ergonomics that we could pickup where it changes allocations
based on the incoming loading.  Its probably time too to look at
default tunings again so out of the box we run smooth when suites like
performance evaluation are set running.

This article by George and the lads over at Traackr is more
interesting in my opinion:
http://traackr.com/blog/2012/02/traackrs-migration-from-hbase-to-mongodb/
 There are reminders for us therein: e.g. some more attention to ease
of operation.  This is not news I know -- and our letting go of the
(unsatisfactory) built-in secondary indexing contrib left them a high
and dry (we could have done better messaging around these contribs it
seems) -- but nonetheless a timely reminder from the lads over at
Traackr (sorry to see you go George and crew).

St.Ack