hbase-user mailing list archives

From Paul Mackles <pmack...@adobe.com>
Subject export/import for backup
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:20:20 GMT
We are on hbase 0.90.4 (cd3u2). We are using the standard hbase export/import for backups.
In a test run, our imports ran extremely slow. While a full export of our dataset took about
an hour, the corresponding import took 20+ hours (for 216 regions across 15 servers). While
it finished, I am a little uncomfortable with that sort of recovery time should disaster strike.
Are there any recommendations for speeding up imports in a recovery scenario? One thing I
noticed while watching the region-server logs was that there were a lot of compactions happening
during the import (both major and minor). Should we disable compactions while the import is
running and then do it all at the end? We have our region-size set to 100GB right now so we
can manage splitting. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Paul Mackles, Senior Manager, Adobe