hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ian Varley <ivar...@salesforce.com>
Subject Seeking HBase schema design examples
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:40:34 GMT
All:

I’m doing a study on HBase schema design, with a goal of contributing back a presentation
or summary about how data modeling is practically done in HBase. I'd like to base it as much
as possible on real world examples (i.e. things that are running in production today). I’ve
got several examples already, but I’d love more input from the community. If you have designed
an HBase schema that worked really well (or, conversely, that failed in an instructive way),
and feel like sharing it with me, I’d love to hear about it (you can email me directly,
or share it on the list). If you'd like the source or identifying details to be obfuscated,
that's totally doable.

In particular, I would *love* to hear about people doing complex things within a single HBase
row (like, storing several entities’ worth of data in columns / column families of the same
HBase row, for atomicity or other reasons). Also interested in nifty stuff using atomic increments,
check & sets, etc. Generally, any clever insights you have about how to make conceptual
data models work well on HBase are what I'd love to digest and share with the community.

Thanks!
Ian