hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase delete operation is very slow
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:57:37 GMT
Pe 22.02.2012 17:02, Haijia Zhou a scris:
> Thanks for the suggestion. I did use List<Delete>  with size 1000, actually the
performance was not that different from deleting one row at a time.
> I investigated HRegion.delete() method, my understanding is that when you call delete()
to delete a row, it's actually going to delete all the column families for that row first,
meaning it'll put tombstone to each family column.
> In my case each row has 5 family columns, that means each delete will result in putting
5 tombstones to the row, I am thinking that could be the reason why delete is so slow.

> I  am just wondering if there's anyway or tools we can profile a hbase application to
measure the time taken on each individual methods.

> Haijia

Hello Haijia,

Try jetm http://jetm.void.fm/ for that kind of work. If you configure it
using Spring Proxy AOP you can enable/disable performance monitoring
from a config file.

Cheers,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan