hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Which server store the root and .meta. information?
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:00:07 GMT
Hi Doug,

I was well thinking that master was in the play in case of region split
or problems.
I searched in the paper book I have, but didn't really find anything on
that.

Luckily, it is well documented on
http://hbase.apache.org/book/regions.arch.html:

- failover: "... The Master will detect that the RegionServer has failed. "
- split: "...and then reports the split to the Master. "

So master seems also to be involved in a regular splitting in addition
to RS lose. More questions:

1.- What occurs if the region server can not report to Master after
splitting (for example if a guy like me killed the master to see 'what
happens'...).
2.- How does the master achieve the monitoring of its regions? (is there
an hearbeat generated by the regions or does Master pol).

(searched around in books... but didn't find, maybe something to do with
CatalogJanitor?)

Thx,
Eric