hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Keller <brya...@gmail.com>
Subject xceiver count, regionserver shutdown
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:42:09 GMT
I am trying to resolve an issue with my cluster when I am loading a bunch of data into HBase.
I am reaching the "xciever" limit on the data nodes. Currently I have this set to 4096. The
data node is logging "xceiverCount 4097 exceeds the limit of concurrent xcievers 4096". The
regionservers eventually shut down. I have read the various threads on this issue.

I have 4 datanodes/regionservers. Each regionserver has only around 200 regions. The table
has 2 column families. I have the region file size set to 500mb, and I'm using Snappy compression.
This problem is occurring on HBase 0.90.4 and Hadoop 0.20.2 (both Cloudera cdh3u3).

From what I have read, the number of regions on a node can cause the xceiver limit to be reached,
but it doesn't seem like I have an excessive number of regions. I want the table to scale
higher, so simply upping the xceiver limit could perhaps get my table functional for now,
but it seems it will only be a temporary fix.

Are number of regions the only factor that can cause this problem, or are there other factors
involved that I may be able to adjust?