hbase-user mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject Re: Important Question
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:23:13 GMT

Hi there-

As someone who works with medical data I take such analysis very
seriously, but according to the World Health Organization there were 608
cases of measles reported in Egypt in 2011 (page 82).  Granted, these are
probably incidence and not prevalence statistics, but the order of
magnitude of data in your use-case is relatively small.

www.who.int/whosis/whostat/EN_WHS2011_Full.pdf

Should you be considering something like MySQL?  Or Microsoft Access?  Or
a spreadsheet?

One of the things that the overview points out...

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#arch.overview

... is that HBase is really useful when you have a *lot* of data, but is
also serious overkill and over-complexity if you don't.  I'm saying this
because I'd like to support your epidemiological research, and also
because I'd like to prevent you from having a bad HBase experience
especially when the use-case doesn't seem to warrant it.

Doug