hbase-user mailing list archives

From T Vinod Gupta <tvi...@readypulse.com>
Subject does increasing region filesize followed by major compactions supposed to reduce number of regions?
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:35:46 GMT
this is probably a rookie question. but my understanding is that if i
increase the region max file size and then initiate major compaction
manually, the number of regions should ideally go down by the factor by
which i increased the region max file size. isn't that true? im not seeing
that happening. ofcourse, my compaction is still underway - so i don't know
if ill see region count decrease at the very end of it. major compaction
does do region merging right?

thanks