hbase-user mailing list archives

From Zheng Da <zhengda1...@gmail.com>
Subject the size of a value and the block size.
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 01:27:37 GMT
Hello,

I'm thinking of using HBase to store a matrix, so each subblock of a matrix
is stored as a value in HBase, and the key of the value is the location of
the subblock in the matrix. At beginning, I wanted the subblock to be as
large as 8MB. But when I read
http://www.larsgeorge.com/2009/10/hbase-architecture-101-storage.html, I
found HBase splits keyvalue pairs into blocks and the block size is usually
much smaller than 8MB. So what happens if I store data of 8MB as a value in
HBase? I tried, and it seems to work fine. But how about the performance?

Thanks,
Da