hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Table region got stuck, doesn't move/assign
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:34:07 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlieu.7@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have a table which seems to get stuck in a state where it can't be
> queried, moved or split/compacted.

How many regions in this table?  One only?

> The logs don't have any error statements. Our admin tried hbck to no avail .

What did your admin see?

> We stopped the region server, table did not get reassigned. (all other
> did). when bround in UI, this table just showed "region server
> offline". (??? shouldn't get reassigned as others did?)

Yes.  It should.

> Brining region server online loaded it with other regions, but not
> that table. master apparently still thinks it is on that node (data6)
> and so all requests are failing with region not serving message.

So, there is something 'wrong' w/ that table.   Can you track it in
master log and see what happens when master tries assign it?  Maybe
its failing to open?

> assign/move/ unassign commands have no effect (move fails, but
> assing/unassign seems to be quiet with no apparent effect).
>
> Another weirdness: it's the only table that is showing up under
> hbase/table in zk and its region is listed under /hbase/unassigned.

Maybe its stuck in transition?  You should see messages in master log
if this the case.

> Where can i read about meaning and transitions of zookeeper nodes under /hbase ?

I don't think this documented in the reference guide (its a little too
much detail for most I'd say).  Best place to look is probably source
code.  See here for an entrance into the wonderful world of
master/regionserver state transitions:
http://hbase.apache.org/xref/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/executor/EventHandler.html#93

St.Ack