hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Question about HBase for OLTP
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:43:52 GMT

Mark,

There are a lot of things that have gone in to RDBMs where it was the only tool available,
although not the best tool. You can put unstructured data in to some RDBMs. Its a pain but
it can be done.

The point I am trying to make, which has also been made by myself and others on numerous threads...

It doesn't make sense to use HBase for a problem that could be solved easier in an RDBMs.
Its actually counter productive.

What I am suggesting is that you study the problem and determine the best set of *available*
tools to do the job.

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:22:03 -0800
> Subject: Re: Question about HBase for OLTP
> From: mdcallag@gmail.com
> To: user@hbase.apache.org
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok..
> >
> > Look, here's the thing... HBase has no transactional support.
> > OLTP systems like PoS systems, Hotel Reservation Systems, Trading systems... among
others really need this.

> > Again, I can't stress this point enough... DO NOT THINK ABOUT USING HBASE AS AN
OLTP SYSTEM UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY GONE THROUGH THE PROCESS OF DEMONSTRATING WHY YOU CAN
NOT DO THIS IN AN RDBMS.