hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advice needed on storing large objects on hdfs
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:51:35 GMT
Hello Rohit,

I would try to write most objects in a Hadoop Sequence file or a MapFile
and store the index/byte offeset in HBase.

When reading: open the file seek() to the position and start reading the
key:value. I don't think that using toByteArray() is good because, I
think, you are creating a copy of the object in memory. If it's big you
will end up with two instances of them. Try to stream the object
directly to disk.

I don't know if 5mb is good or not, I hope someone can shed some light.

If the objects are changing: append to the SequenceFile and update the
reference in HBase. From time to time run a MR job that cleans the file.

You can use ZooKeeper to coordinate writing to many Sequence Files.

If you go this way, please post your results.

Cheers,

Pe 27.01.2012 10:42, Rohit Kelkar a scris:

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com