hbase-user mailing list archives

From kfarmer <kfar...@camstar.com>
Subject HBase for ad-hoc aggregate queries
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:59:04 GMT

I'm taking a look at moving our datastore from Oracle to HBase, and trying to
understand how HBase could be used for ad-hoc aggregation queries across our
data.

My understanding is MapReduce is more of a batch framework, so if we want a
query to come back to the user's request in a few seconds, that won't work
because of the overheard of running MR and because the MR jobs write back to
a new table.  Is that correct?

Instead should we be pre-aggregating data as we load into separate tables,
and then when a user queries instead just do a scan on these pre-aggregated
tables?

Thanks.