hbase-user mailing list archives

From fullysane <fullys...@msn.com>
Subject Question about HBase for OLTP
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 17:25:49 GMT

Hi

I know HBase is designed for OLAP, query intensive type of applications. But
I like the flexibility feature of its column-base architecture which allows
me having no need to predefine every column of a table and I can dynamically
add new column with value in my OLTP application code and capture its meta
data information.

My question is basically about if we can use HBase for OLTP application
database. I know Hbase works well with Inserting column data of a row key
and set new version for the new piece of the data, and not so well for
updating and deleting existing piece of data. However, if I turn OLTP update
and delete operations into all insertion of new version of colum data as I
described below:
For OLTP data update, if I set my table column family’s versioning to 1 and
always do insert (put) when there is need to update an existing data row
columns, and let Hbase to handle the delete of the old versions through DB
garbage collection.
For OLTP data delete, I can use inserting new version on a flag field to
“deleted”, which is a logical delete, and have some batch job to clean up
all logically deleted rows later.

Will the above scenario work for using HBase for an OLTP application? Any
flaws on doing it?

Can some one share the experiences of using HBase for OLTP applications?

Thanks,