hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Tariq <donta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating columns within columns
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:28:40 GMT
Hello Michael,

      First of all I would like to thank you for such a good
reply...Yes, you are absolutely right, this was regarding hierarchical
data. Actually we have a web service that collects information from a
server through xml files. Till now we have used Oracle for the
storage. But, since our data is growing exponentially we are planning
to use Hadoop and Hbase for storage and processing...Will it be
appropriate??

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> It sounds like you want to implement a hierarchial data model within HBase. You can do
this, albeit there are some drawbacks...

> In terms of drawbacks...
> The best example that I can think of is implementing a point of sale solution in Dick
Pick's Revelation system.

> Here you store each PoS entry as a single row. So you end up storing the customer id,
ship to: Address, bill to: Address, Line Items, sub total, sales tax, total ... that sort
of thing.
> Inside things like ship to: Address you have fields : Street 1, Street 2, City, State,
Zip
> Line Items is an array of lines which have sku, description, qty, Unit price , total
price.

> So you get the idea.
> There are several ways of packaging this data within Hadoop/HBase ... xml, json, avro,
etc ...

> The downside to this is that if you want to try and find out which product was the most
popular that week, you've got to pull out each record, pull out and aggreate the data and
return the result.
> In this example, you have to do more work than you would if you were implementing it
in a relational model.
> Its an extremely valid approach.
>
> I've seen some actually take their java objects use Avro and put it directly in to HBase.
It makes it hard to search on and filter on, but still a valid approach.