hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Meta region hotspotting
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 00:24:21 GMT
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Ben West <bwsithspawn00@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We have a cluster with four region servers and about 2,000 regions. We're using the REST
server, and we've noticed that whatever region is hosting META gets 3-5x the number of requests
that the other regions do.
> It's my understanding that the client should cache the row start/end locations, and hence
should need to go to META only rarely after a little bit. But I'm sustaining tens of thousands
of requests per second for many minutes and they all still seem to hit META - does anyone
know why this would be?

Your understanding is corrrect.  I'd think that the caching would
eventually pick up all 2k region locations  unless REST is making a
new client on every invocation, or every few invocations (I've not

View raw message