hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Thrift Architecture - Try #2
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:31:06 GMT
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Bob Smith <okeewi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I thinking about the Thrift client-server setup for HBase correctly?

Yes.

> Does this seem like a good approach? If I have, say, a few dozen Thrift
> server instances for a thousand users, will the requests through the 90XX
> sockets block and buffer correctly so the Thrift servers will be pooled in
> the eyes of the C/C++ processes? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Should work.  Our frontend, SU's, which is php, gets to backend hbase
cluster via thrift.  There are 'thousands' of connections from the
front-end into the cluster.   You can scale the thriftserver layer
with load independing of your middle-tier and hbase cluster scaling.
Run the thrift servers on the middle-tier servers or on the hbase
cluster nodes.  The thing to watch out for is lack-of-bounds on thrift
thread count but this has been fixed in hbase TRUNK IIRC (if you can't
find issue, ask and will dig).

St.Ack