hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ian Varley <ivar...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Consistency in CAP
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:15:48 GMT
Mohit,

Yeah, those are great places to go and learn.

To fill in a bit more on this topic: "partition-tolerance" usually refers to the idea that
you could have a complete disconnection between N sets of machines in your data center, but
still be taking writes and serving reads from all the servers. Some "NoSQL" databases can
do this (to a degree), but HBase cannot; the master and ZK quorum must be accessible from
any machine that's up and running the cluster.

Individual machines can go down, as J-D said, and the master will reassign those regions to
another region server. So, imagine you had a network switch fail that disconnected 10 machines
in a 20-machine cluster; you wouldn't have 2 baby 10-machine clusters, like you might with
some other software; you'd just have 10 machines "down" (and probably a significant interruption
while the master replays logs on the remaining 10). That would also require that the underlying
HDFS cluster (assuming it's on the same machines) was keeping replicas of the blocks on different
racks (which it does by default), otherwise there's no hope.

HBase makes this trade-off intentionally, because in real-world scenarios, there aren't too
many cases where a true network partition would be survived by the rest of your stack, either
(e.g. imagine a case where application servers can't access a relational database server because
of a partition; you're just down). The focus of HBase fault tolerance is recovering from isolated
machine failures, not the collapse of your infrastructure.

Ian