hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andy Sautins <andy.saut...@returnpath.net>
Subject RE: major compaction and regionserver failure...
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:25:58 GMT

  Mikhail,

  Thanks for the response.  So to summarize compaction requests in the compaction queue of
the failed regionserver are lost and not picked up when the regions are picked up by another
regionserver.  So if we lose a regionserver during a major compaction the regions that had
not yet been major compacted on the failed regionserver will not be major compacted as part
of that major compaction request, correct?

  Thanks for the insight.

   Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikhail Bautin [mailto:bautin.mailing.lists@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:50 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: major compaction and regionserver failure...

Hi Andy,

Compaction queues are not persisted between regionserver restarts, and the results of an incomplete
compaction are discarded. Compactions write into an HFile in a temporary location and only
move it to the region/CF directory in case of success (at least, this is how it works in trunk).

Thanks,
--Mikhail