hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data management strategy
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 23:09:34 GMT
> I plan to use HBase to store data that has a  variable length lifespan

> [...]

Indeed that the simplest approach is usually best.

The simplest way to manage automatic expiration of data over various lifetimes, especially
if there are only a few of them, like in your case (3 days versus 3 months): Create a column
family for each. Store into a given column family as appropriate. Get or Scan with families
included as needed, will retrieve all of the nonexpired data in the row in the given families.

> I don’t think I can use standard TTL for this because that’s fixed at a
> column family level.

Is that really the case?

I had a use case once where most data was not useful after a couple of weeks, but some data occasionally needed
to be promoted to permanent storage. It wasn't convenient to model the transient data and
permanent data as separate entities. You might think TTLs couldn't be used for that. However,
we created two column families; one with a TTL, one without; a very simple maintenance mapreduce
job, run from crontab on the jobtracker, for copying from one to the other, and we were able
to use filters to reduce the work this job needed to do; and a very thin presentation layer
to give users the illusion that these entities were stored "in the same place" (we needed
to give them a REST API anyway). This worked well. There was some modest penalty on read for
accessing two stores instead of one, but the performance was within the bounds we needed.

Best regards,

   - Andy