hbase-user mailing list archives

From sumit ghosh <sumi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Installing HBase
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:18:18 GMT
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the impact analysis of running HBase on AIX.

There is no /usr/bin/bash on the system. But I am not clear of the difference between  #!/usr/bin/bash
and #!/usr/bin/env bash

Warm Regards,

 From: Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
To: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 7 December 2011 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: Installing HBase
First don't use AIX.
It's nothing against IBM, except that you will find that you are going to run unsupported
unless you run the apache release and IBM is selling you support and you will end up with
a derivative.

Second, convince a bunch of open source contributors to switch to ksh.
(good luck on that.)

Third, you could install bash on AIX, good luck with that.

The point is that either you are going to have to do a lot of extra work, ending up with a
derivative, all on a system which you are trying to learn.

Note that you could install bash...
However you asked whats the difference between /usr/bin/bash and /usr/bin/env bash.
Good question.

Assuming that /usr/bin/bash exists, it would imply that you already have bash on the system.

So if you first type in /usr/bin/bash what happens?

If you get a bash shell prompt, then try and run the script. If it runs, then you need to
change your user shell.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2011, at 3:26 AM, "sumit ghosh" <sumitkg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Mikhail,
> I am installing HBase on an AIX machine. It has ksh and sh but no bash. Hence when it
encounters #!/usr/bin/env bash the script gives an error.  bash: A file or directory in the
path name does not exist.
> How is #!/usr/bin/bash different from #!/usr/bin/env bash
> As Harsh says that the scripts wont run - they are not running. In such a case 14 scripts
from HBase, a similar set for Hadoop will need to be changed and any other related sub-project
in future. Are there any more changes that will be needed?
> Thanks,
> Sumit.
you using? HBase is most frequently deployed on Linux, and many developers run it on Mac OS
X locally for testing. It is also possible to run HBase on Windows using Cygwin (http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/cygwin.html)
-- Cygwin provides a UNIX-like environment on Windows, which includes bash.